Former CONMEBOL chief Leoz appeals extradition to US

ASUNCION, Paraguay — The former head of South American soccer is appealing extradition to the United States where he is wanted on charges of receiving millions in bribes in exchange for marketing and TV rights to tournaments.

A judge in Nicolas Leoz's native Paraguay approved the extradition order last week.

Leoz's lawyer, Ricardo Preda, has told the Associated Press he is appealing the judge's order and says, if it fails, he will appeal to the supreme court.

The 89-year-old Leoz headed CONMEBOL from 1986 to 2013. He quit after acknowledging he received $130,000 in payments from a former marketing partner of FIFA.

The U.S. Justice Department has indicted more than 40 soccer and marketing officials, including Leoz, on charges of bribery, racketeering, and money laundering.

People also read these

Yellen suggests rate hike is coming but offers no timetable

Aug 26, 2016

Yellen says 'the case for an increase' in rates has strengthened but offers no timetable

US bank earnings in Q2 climbed 1.4 percent to $43.6B

Aug 30, 2016

U.S. banks' earnings in the April-June period rose 1.4 percent from a year earlier as growth in lending fueled interest income

Tough economic outlook in Brazil after president removed

Aug 31, 2016

There's a tough road ahead for Latin America's largest economy after ouster of President Dilma Rousseff

Subscribe to our newsletter!

Your Name

Your Email Address